Tuesday, October 14, 2014

     I’m not a political person, nor am I religious. As far as politics is concerned, I’m registered as an independent and if I could be in this state, I would probably be registered as a Libertarian. Libertarianism (Latin: liber, "free") is a political philosophy that upholds liberty as its principal objective. Libertarians seek to maximize autonomy and freedom of choice, emphasizing political freedom, voluntary association and the primacy of individual judgment. Libertarians generally share a skepticism of authority, however, they diverge on the scope of their opposition to existing political and economic systems.
     Check Wikipedia if you want more detail.
     You don’t have to have a religion to have faith. In my opinion, religion is a construct of the human species invented primarily to control other human beings, especially women. And going along with that, it’s my opinion that a person’s religion or lack of isn’t important. Lack of religion, or faith in something bigger than self, isn’t even the important part. What is important is whether or not someone is a good person, and you don’t have to believe in a God or any god, goddess or anything else to be a good person. I’ve known plenty atheists, agnostics, Pagans, etc. through the years who have been good people.
     I’ve always felt that if I want people to treat me with respect then I must treat them that way. So, if Christians want to be treated with respect then they must afford that same respect to people of other religions or of no religion.
As a Christian you are supposed to be witnessing by example. At least that is what I was taught in Sunday School. You can preach until you’re blue, but if you aren’t living what you are preaching, it’s not going to make much of an impression, at least not a good one.
     So many of my religious friends are always yelling “separation of church and state.” Yet, when it comes right down to it they are the same ones who complain about some people wanting to leave the words “under God” out of the pledge, or take “In God We Trust” off our money and other things.

     I’m not arguing for or against anything religiously or politically. All I’m saying is that if you want me to respect your point of view, then don’t call me stupid because my point of view doesn’t line up with yours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment